Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Jacob 7

I don't usually post about what scriptures I've been reading, but I just had to share this time!  Jace and I are reading the Book of Mormon together and we just finished Jacob last week.  The last chapter in Jacob, chapter 7 is awesome and I recommend you read it.  It talks about a man named Sherem who declares that there isn't a God.  He  goes around the city "that he might lead away the hearts of the people"  and Jacob mentions that Sherem is really good with words and is able to lead people away from Christ with ease.  My favorite part is when Jacob stands up to him in front of the people bearing his testimony:

9 And I said unto him: Deniest thou the Christ who shall come?  And he said: If there should be a Christ, I would not deny him; but I know that there is no Christ, neither has been, nor ever will be.
10 And I said unto him:  Believest thou the scriptures?  And he said, Yea.
11 And I said unto him: Then ye do not understand them: for they truly testify of Christ.  Behold, I say unto you that none of the prophets have written, nor prophesied, save they have spoken concerning this Christ. 
12 And this is not all-- it has been made manifest unto me, for I have heard and seen; and it also has been made manifest unto me by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, I know if there should be no atonement made all mankind must be lost.

Then Sherem says well then, if there is a God show me a sign!  And Jacob answers in such a way that should be the answer to anyone, even now, who asks for us to make God show them a sign:

14 And I said unto him:   What am I that I should tempt God to show unto thee a sign in the thing which thou knowest to be true?  Yet thou wilt deny it, because thou art of the devil.  Nevertheless, not my will be done; but if God shall smite thee, let that be a sign unto thee that he has power, both in heaven and in earth; and also, that Christ shall come.  And thy will, O Lord, be done, and not mine.  

Sure enough the power of the Lord did come upon Sherem and he fell to the earth!  He tells everyone to gather the next day because he is going to die, and he wants to talk with them one last time:

17 And it came to pass that on the morrow the multitude were gathered together; and he spake plainly unto them and denied the things which he had taught them, and confessed the Christ, and the power of the Holy Ghost, and the ministering of angels.
18 And he spake plainly unto them, that he had been deceived by the power of the devil.  And he spake of hell, and of eternity, and of eternal punishment.
19 And he said: I fear lest I have committed the unpardonable sin, for I have lied unto God; for I denied the Christ, and said that I believed the scriptures and they truly testify of him.  And because I have thus lied unto God I greatly fear lest my case shall be awful; but I confess unto God.

Sherem died right after this speech.  The people were astonished and Jacob's testimony was solidified that God does answer prayers.  My testimony grew so much after I read this chapter.  I cannot even tell you how many times I have had a run in with a "Sherem" and did not know what to say.  They were not smitten, they did not humble themselves before God and "undeny" him, and I didn't want to say too much and offend.  What is most important to note I think, is that if you deny Christ when you know that he is, it is unpardonable.  This is not for me to judge of another;  but it is extremely something that needs to be understood.  I know a lot of people who "deny Christ" so to speak, and I hurt for them when Christ comes again.  I hope that they can find a testimony in the gospel of Jesus Christ again soon.

Thanks for reading,


post signature

No comments: