Wednesday, January 2, 2013

RSV= Really Stupid Virus

Jace and I were looking so forward to our Christmas break and it turned out to be a giant nightmare.  Don't get me wrong it was wonderful to see my sister and her cute kiddos and the rest of my family, but it is probably a good thing that Hayes will not remember his very first Christmas.  He got RSV about 2 weeks ago and it is slowly but surely going away.  He started off not so hot at the beginning of the month with a minor cold and it only lasted a couple weeks and went away for a few days.  Well those few days later he was sneezing like crazy again, very congested, and this time got a cough.  I didn't think anything of it until it started sounding really tight and scratchy.  My first thought was CROUP!!! Which is really scary.  So we ran him over to an instacare where we found out he doesn't have CROUP and they decided to test him for RSV just to be safe.  Good thing we did that because it came back positive and at that moment our Christmas break was over.  Since then Hayes lost around 3 pounds, he wouldn't nurse consistently therefore my milk isn't coming in consistently, he wouldn't take a formula bottle, wouldn't take 1/2 and 1/2, he would only take breast milk out of a bottle but because my milk wasn't coming in I could only pump about 2 ounces (when he was eating about 4.... hence the weight loss) then he wasn't having a bowel movement so we had to give him prune juice and stick a q-tip up his bum to try and help him poop, then he wasn't sleeping because he couldn't breathe and was coughing all night.  Things have gotten better, but everything is so messed up now I don't know what to do so I decided to blog about it and at least feel better about it.  Just when we think he is taking formula now, or he is back to nursing, he changes his mind again.  Today was really special because he was up every hour of the night, hardly nursed around 5 a.m. and a little more at 6 a.m. and wouldn't eat when I tried to feed him at 9, same thing at 10 (he use to eat every three hours)  Sometimes he'll eat 5 1/2 ounces, sometimes he'll eat 1 ounce.  Sometimes he is fussy so I can tell he really is hungry; other times (like today) he is so happy so I don't know if he just isn't hungry, has lost his appetite, or is getting sicker (however the symptoms have improved).  Has this post stressed you out yet?  Anyway all in all, we think he is getting better, but who knows!  He hasn't needed another breathing treatment so that's good.  My milk is next to none right now which makes me want to cry because I wanted to nurse my baby for a good solid year.  Hayes won't nurse or take formula today.  He DID poop yesterday so that's good I guess.  And Jace and I are so tired after the last few nights we've had.  And Jace is working an 11 hour day today.  Our start for 2013 is not as happy as I wish it was.  Hayes will be a 5 month old in a couple weeks though, so maybe we will hit a few milestones despite our setbacks.

 SAYONARA 2012

Here's to 2013 and many pictures to come!

Love,

Hoffs

No comments: